ORLANDO—Pulse Nightclub, the site of the largest mass shooting in recent US history, will not be reopening as a memorial to the 49 people murdered there. Rumors had been rampant last week citing an Instagram posting on its OnePULSE account which stated that the group would “contribute to the creation of a permanent memorial at the existing site of Pulse Nightclub.”
A subsequent post on Fackbook stated “You heard right! We will be reopening Pulse as a memorial for the 49 lives who were taken from us on June 12th.” That post was later taken down.
It was later replaced with a post that said, “OOPS! Looks like we got the media’s pulse racing with an inadvertent Instagram posting that incorrectly stated the Pulse Nightclub was reopening as a memorial,” said a statement attributed to Pulse nightclub, in Orlando.
A spokesman for OnePulse confirmed “Pulse is NOT reopening as a memorial.”
The massacre occurred at Pulse on June 12, in which 53 guests were injured in addition to the 49 killed. After a three-hour standoff, the gunman was eventually killed by police.