By Tom Bonanti
Summer is a time to slow down and chill out, and to strip off those pesky clothes—all of them—to reveal that body of yours in all its glory. We have a season full of excellent South Florida events that neither locals nor visitors should miss. This summer, in addition to packing your sunscreen, relaxing and enjoying the action, take some extra time in the gym to fine tune your workouts. Here are a few of my top summer fitness tips. They are simple and easy to follow, so heed my advice, and enjoy. .
1. Remember, stretching is a vital component of overall fitness. Stretch vigorously, and for several minutes, before doing any cardio routine like cycling, running, and swimming. For weight training, stretch lightly before working out, as well as between sets, and after your workout.
2. A cocktail or glass of wine is a delight around the pool or cabana, but overdoing it can pack on the pounds, deplete your energy, and prove fatal to your workouts.
3. Modalities like hydro-therapy, massage, and acupuncture, can aid your fitness lifestyle, by relieving pain, speeding recovery and adding to your overall well being. Treat yourself this summer.
4. A professional massage can relax sore and tight muscles, lower blood pressure, increase circulation, and moisturize your skin.
5. Summer colds are a bitch, so never workout when you’re sick. It’s counterproductive. Stay home and get well.
7. Carry a clean towel with you to the gym, as well as a few antibacterial wipes, to keep equipment clean for yourself and others.
8. Stay hydrated throughout the day, and during your work-outs. Chug water regularly, but don’t wait until you are thirsty. For the most part, sports drinks contain too much sugar, and for our purposes, good old H2O is tops.
9. Beginning at age 25, most people begin to lose about half a pound of muscle per year. Regular and progressive weight training helps to maintain and build lean muscle.
10. Consistency and regularity at the gym add up to success in achieving your goals. Even if your workout isn’t stellar, it’s still better to do something than nothing.
11. To jumpstart fat-burning, try 20 minutes of cardio—treadmill, elliptical, etc.—on an empty stomach, first thing in the morning. Make sure to eat breakfast soon after your cardio, and always before a major workout.
12. Before trying any new supplement for weight loss or bodybuilding, make sure you thoroughly research it. Check with your physician before trying anything new.
13. Good nutrition, weight training (free weights and machines), and cardiovascular training (running, swimming, cycling) are the three elements of any sound fitness program. You need all of these to succeed, and to look fabulous.
14. Do some core training on the job. Replace your regular office chair with an exercise ball while you attend to your work. Do dumbbell military presses, arm curls, etc., on the exercise ball in order to really workout your core.
15. Warmer weather is better for joints and muscles while exercising, just don’t overdo it. Use sunscreen, and chug plenty of water. And, let me repeat—always remember the importance of stretching and warming up. Use your down time to get an extra pump in the gym, and enjoy your summer—while staying fit and happy.
For more ideas on summertime fitness, contact TrainerTomB@ aol.com
Tom Bonanti is a certified personal trainer and owner of Pump’n Inc Gym at 1271 NE 9th Ave, Fort Lauderdale. For more tips on how to get bigger beefier arms by summer, give me a shout at TrainerTomB@aol.com